Here's how I would fix GW:
1) Separate guilds into "casual" and "tryhards" (better words would be used, of course):
First, this would be a decision for your guild to make. You get to choose which category you fit into. Casual guilds would get only 6 tickets each week, while tryhards get 12. Guilds that choose tryhard will have the same reward structure we currently have, while guilds that choose casual will be limited to rank rewards of top 50% and lower and the 3 win-structure would remain the same, meaning they'd only have the ability to get two rewards max.
You take the casual route, you get casual rewards. (because otherwise guilds that didn't belong in casual would go there for easy #1 rewards)
2) Fix Matchmaking.
GW is essentially meaningless right now. Guilds can take #1 without facing a single top level guild. Meanwhile, the guilds you and your opponent face are different which ... is weird. I mean, why should I face the #10 guild while you face the #22 guild? Makes no sense. So right now you get 12 tickets per week, so 12 potential matchups. Going forward, you will only face the guilds in your "tier." Each tier would have 13 guilds. Top tier would be 1-13, second would be 14-27, etc etc.
This way you face every guild in your tier each week.
3) Fix the lack of defenses.
One issue right now is that some guilds don't get through all their tickets. So a lower guild will lose to 3 guilds in the top 5 but then not use their 8th and 9th tickets which are the other 2 guilds in the top 5. So 3 get more points while the other 2 get nothing. Seems unfair, right?
Well, any unused offensive ticket becomes a loss now. (This is why we've broken out the guilds into two categories, btw - because it wouldn't be fair to penalize guilds who are legit casual.) The loss is assumed to have been as close as possible without winning when calculating point loss/gain for the guilds involved.
4) Fix the schedule
It just needs to be random.
5) Fix the opt-out exploit.
This goes away 90% of the time with a random schedule, but even still, let's just note that if you are opted out of an offensive battle, you are then automatically opted out for the next defensive battle. Reasoning here.
6) Fix modifiers
Hoooooo boy. This is a doozy. Right now they're pointless (and broken). Here are my ideas (as a note, I fully support the idea of scaled modifiers, based on your tier and what category of guild you are in; I am not including all scaling for these, mostly because I'm lazy; you could even omit certain modifiers from the casual side):
- "We've lost control!" - no control units may be used by attacking teams (one scaling idea for ones like these - the number you can use changes. lowest tier you can use all of them, then you lose just 1, then 2, etc)
- I'm not clever enough to come up with names for all of these - no tanks units may be used.
- No support units may be used
- "We're gonna be here for a while" - rotating cast of DPS heroes are not usable
- "Something's gone terribly wrong!" - order of heroes and minions is reversed
- "It's over 9000!" - all defenders have all stats increased by X amount (2x? 3x? Idk)
- "Mirror Image" - defenders begin fight with the same amount of energy as the attackers
- "Bone Dragon's Delight" - all heroes have their SE cut in half (note: this applies to defenders as well; note2: horse does not protect against this)
- "Uprising" - all minions gain all of their abilities (ninjas will actually jump, skeleton horses will actually be flaming, etc)
- "Grand Tournament!" - no minions!
- "We need a break" - no modifier this week. Sorry defense!
- "If you had one shot ..." - no retries this week.
Some of these will be really hard. That's okay. I'd like to see even the top guilds struggle to win battles.
7) Fix token rewards
It doesn't make sense to me that you have to fight against your guildmates for tokens. Everyone gets an equal amount. No more reason to sandbag your defense, no more reason to be upset that you missed an entire war because you were asleep. #1 guild gets the most, and scales down from there.
8) Fix yo-yoing
Honestly I am not sure what to do with this one. My only thought is that you cannot move up more than one tier at a time. So if you're in the 53-65 tier and you come in first in that tier (rank 53), then you would move up to the 40-52 tier the next week (you would be 52nd). Meanwhile, the team that came in 52nd (last) gets moved down a tier (becomes 1st?). Essentially you get relegated if you're last and you get promoted if you're first.
You would move up very slowly, but there would be no more yo-yoing.
9) Random thoughts that might not be necessary with the above improvements:
- Make wins on retry worth 75% as much as those on first attempt
- Give defenders laurels for each successful victory, regardless of surviving lines
I think that about covers it. Makes the schedule random but fair and equal. Makes fights hard again. Makes it so you don't have to fight with your guildmates for rewards. Will add to it if I think of something else later.
edit: I know what I forgot - a fix to yo-yoing. Not sure of a good one. Maybe you can only move up a single tier at a time? And you are placed at the bottom of that tier at first? Would slow down newly merged guilds, but I'm not sure if that is a big enough hindrance to stopping yo-yoing.